Thursday, June 24, 2010

Brooke Egelston - Blog #4

Challenges in writing journalistically compared to academically mirror the challenges in writing academically versus writing in the tone one speaks. There is a time and place for every type of writing and credibility can come from using the correct style in the right setting. You wouldn't use a slang word in academic writing, so why would you use complex language in a news report? It is incredibly important to keep writing style in check in order to keep your credibility as a writer in check.

The switch from regular speech to academic writing and to journalistic writing is always tricky. As creatures of habit, people get caught up in what they are used to. To switch from one style of writing to another so abruptly can cause the writer to feel their writing is unnatural and does not sound right. This summer I have constantly found myself editing out lengthy, descriptive words in my stories because I am used to writing academically. It's rough, but I think, like anything, it just takes some practice.

No comments: