Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Blog #1 Kalem Wedemyer

In high school, English was one of my strongest subjects. Very rarely did I lose points on spelling or grammatical errors. After attending four years of college, my high school teachers must have either been ignorant of grammar rules or didn't bother to tell me of my mistakes, because I find myself relearning basic grammar. I'm horrified with the results of my grammar reviews, feeling certain that someone who licks windows must have done the test and then wrote my name on it. I once got an award for being in the top five percentile of Oklahoma students who took a state wide English and Reading exam. Yet I'm still uncertain whether I am supposed to use their or his or her. My grammar problems are only compounded by the multiple "reputable" websites that seem to give different rules and opinions in the subject, and that common usage of our language seems to contradict proper grammar. Although grammar makes me want to jump onto sharp objects, I realize the importance of knowing it. At least my spelling and punctuation are pretty strong.

No comments: