Thursday, June 24, 2010

Blog Numero dos Katie Piper

Oh, language.


Using sensitivity when speaking or writing about people can sometimes be surprisingly hard. For instance, you affectionately call someone a redneck, or hillbilly, and while that may seem like nothing to you, it can ruin any kind of relationship you had with that "redneck" by calling them that one little word. I don't know exactly why hateful speech and language were introduced into modern speech and how it became somewhat acceptable, but I don't appreciate it. I try to respect all cultures and communities, and by careless errors or lack of understanding, sometimes I say the wrong thing. I don't mean to. I certainly don't want to hurt anybody's feelings, and I feel terrible when I do. But the most important thing is the meaning behind everything. If someone does not intentionally disrespect another person, then that should be forgiven. When hatred and malicious intent come in to play, that is a whole different story.