
I believe it's a relevant assumption that I am the oldest member of the class. As such, it would seem I should have at least a basic grasp of the English language. And the funny thing is, I thought I did. I have been served a generous helping of humble pie. My "deer in the headlights" look after receiving a graded quiz leaves me asking some of life's big questions including "Why am I here?"
I graduated with, can you believe it, a major in English from Oklahoma Baptist University in 2006. I am a non-traditional student and have always prided myself as a lover of learning. But somewhere along the way, I must have jumped off the "grammar and proper use of the English language" train. I find this realization somewhat overwhelming. Here I am, in my more mature years (and I certainly do not wish to imply that those younger than me are immature, but it sure beats classifying myself as old), going back to the basics.
Sometimes when Ms. Barnes refers to the AP Stylebook's letters A and B, I briefly hear Big Bird or Elmo from Sesame Street singing songs about the basic elements of the letters A and B. Am I that inept? Is it time for me to scrap the AP Stylebook and revert to old episodes of Sesame Street to build the foundational elements that appear to be missing from my comprehension of the English language?
I hope not. As one who prefers high Bs and As on quizzes and tests, I shall consume my piece of humble pie the same way you eat an elephant - one bite at a time. Until then, be patient with me and I shall attempt to be patient with myself.
2 comments:
So...much...pie...
I feel like it's Thanksgiving. :)
Great post. I laughed out loud at the pic.
Post a Comment