Everyone in the world is different and has pride in their culture and country. So it makes sense that as Journalists we must be very careful and respectful when writing our stories. It is extremely difficult to understand and be knowledgeable of all cultures, traditions, and the vocabulary involved with them. However it might actually be the most important part of our careers. The world’s population gets more diverse every single minute so it’s very demanding to know every single difference. This past week I worked for the South Asian Journalist Conference in the Gaylord College and met Journalists from Bangladesh, Nepal, and Pakistan. Without sounding ignorant, before I met these people I honestly didn’t know the huge differences between their cultures. Sure I know the difference between India, Pakistan, and Iraq, but I was clueless when it came to other South Asian countries. Each of these nations has its own language, tradition and culture, and I learned quickly that each is important. Misrepresenting someone, to me, is an awful mistake in Journalism. Every person is important and diverse, and when you use the inaccurate vocabulary or identification you can not only destroy credibility that is journalism, but also disrespect someone.
Tuesday, June 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I recently took a class that focused on the South Asian countries/cultures. They are dramatically different, I didn't have much of a clue either.
Pretty cool though.
Post a Comment