Antecedents, interjections, and conjunctions: Sure I've seen and even used these parts of speech before, but never have I faced the difficult process of learning their agreement, proper use, and needed punctuation.
Writing has always come easily to me. In high school I always received A's in English class or 5's on AP exams, but not even College Board exams prepared me for the assignments presented in this class. When writing papers, correct grammar seems to follow logically and naturally, but when given multiple choice questions, I tend to second-guess correct answers. I've also found that writing for critical reading is entirely different from writing for Journalism. I've grown up using rules in literature classes that I must now convert to fit Journalism.
Perhaps my biggest challenge is that I've studied French and German for the past nine years, yet have not taken a grammar-style English class since seventh grade. I've spent so much time learning and understanding the grammar and structure of other languages that I confuse them with those of English. However, I do enjoy researching grammar's correct use and syntax and believe I'll be able to overcome these challenges in order to write professionally and accurately in both lab and lecture.
No comments:
Post a Comment