Tuesday, June 15, 2010
Blog 1. Frank Simpson
Grammar is something that high school teachers only half taught students. The most annoying aspect of English classes in high schools were the vocab tests. They served no point in the whole grand scheme of writing at that time. I would binge study the vocab words (usually 20 at a time), take the quiz, get an A and forget the words 20 minutes later. The only plausible reason for doing the vocab tests was to prepare us for the SAT, o wait those words were completely different and much harder. I kid you not, I literally did a coloring assignment in my senior English class. I grew up in Texas so maybe someone in the class was at that grade level. Also, there are very tricky grammar situations now that I have not been prepared for. My teachers skipped the difference between the who and whom day of teaching. Also growing up in Texas, I would hear a southern accent on a daily basis so any grammar that was spoken, bad as it was, became second nature to me. So when those situations came to choose either who or whom, I hated my southern dialect.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment