You rarely see Asians dealing with anything in journalism. I do know for a fact that the Vietnamese-Americans have a number of media outlets, but it's pretty much underground and exclusive. I am further disappointed that when Asians do show up in the American journalistic paradigm, they are represented in very negative and stereotypical ways.
I remember in high school, my AP Government teacher said that it's not that mind-boggling that Asians aren't as involved in politics, law, journalism, business, and entertainment in the American sphere. He told us that if we just think about it, most Asians are out in the world, busy trying to save it and make it better by being doctors (and he said something about nail shops, but I thought that was a little too racist next to the doctor statement--but my teacher was a self-proclaimed "radical realist," so I let it all slide). It's partly true. It is my hope that all Asian Americans can find their niche in any occupation in America. But anyway, I digress.
Asian American Journalist Association (AAJA) website (http://www.aaja.org) is a resource on all things Asian and journalism. Founded in 1981, the non-profit organization has more than 2,000 members. What I liked about this association when I read about its background is that the organization strives to break those barriers that currently exist with Asian Americans and the media. The association gives scholarships, holds conventions and programs, provides career listings and awards, and I think this is a very big advancement for journalism and mass media because they in desperate need of some more color. And I believe that Asian Americans, as well as other ethnic groups and diverse people, are perfectly capable of adding those needed colors.
Tuesday, June 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment