Thursday, June 24, 2010
Blog 4. Frank Simpson
Writing like a journalist seems more simple than writing academically , but there are so many little things to remember it makes me second guess myself sometimes. In high school, there was the cut and dry format of introduction, paragragh(s), and conclusion. So we would briefly explain our paper, cram all our info into the body, and then summarize the paper. That was the only structure that we were told. In college, we still have that structure but the difference is that we can actually make sense of the garbled mess we tried to call an essay. There is more depth and content in the essays. Now that I have to write like a journalist, I am caught offguard. I know the information that needs to be in the paper but the cookie cutter format is what throws me off. I'm used to stating facts in either my opinion or just as they are. Now I have to state facts, signify importance, quote sources, explain who I am quoting, explain who they are, explain why they are important, write bluntly, and reverse my thinking of writing. I am good at writing satires. I like to make people laugh and now I'm reporting to them. Unfortunately I can't joke my way to making a news story.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I am having the same transition problems.
Maybe try to add a bit of satire in a news story, if appropriate, that might fit your style. Also, you should have a lot of fun writing a feature story then.
Post a Comment