
I never have a problem with brevity. In fact, I shorten everything, so writing journalistically isn't a problem for me. My problem stems from arrangement of facts. Creating the flow of the story and, working it into a piece that is not only sound, but interesting.
The dynamic of merging these two concepts (brevity with style and interest) is an art form. One that takes years to develop. Today we talked about alternative ledes and that really got me thinking. I was sitting there in class wondering about all the different ways I could have written past assignment's intros. Which would fit where and, how would they sound if done just a bit differently.
From now on I will write several ledes taking on a variety of tones and see which one works best. It isn't easy to do, because let's be honest, I struggle with one lede sometimes. I often find myself unable to move along until I, at least, have a "working" lede. I wonder if people struggle with this as well. I know M. Barnes said she does the same thing. Hopefully it isn't viral.
No comments:
Post a Comment